Thursday, March 31, 2016

31 weeks -Easter weekend - 6th trip to Labor and Delivery unit

I had a lovely Easter weekend with a few visits from friends and family that were so nice to load me up on spring flowers to enjoy in my hospital room.

Easter Sunday  - 31 weeks






Saturday visit from Chantel, Mike, Mom, Mark, Kari Olsen, and Diana Murphy




Uncle Mike stopping by for a quick visit.



I made it 2 weeks with out being sent to the torture chamber. 

Yesterday ended up being a combination of Terrific and Terrible Tuesday. My mom wheeled me outside to enjoy some beautiful sunshine and the daffodils. We found a perfect enclosed area near the entrance of the hospital where it's very sunny. Sure enough, right soon when we returned back to my room around 3:20, some heavy bleeding came on which eventually lead to my 6th trip to L&D. 

On a positive note- 1- it will most likely be my last time given magnesium since they stop doing that after 32 weeks 2- it was the least torture I've been there in that unit (maybe because I'm so use to it by now. ;) 3- I was very stubborn and after 4 hours,  I was the one to make the call on whether to start up with mag

It was kind of the same spill that I have always had - bleeding came on all the sudden. This time it was a large blood clot, but not too much bleeding afterwards. Right soon after all this happened, the doctor on call said he wanted to send me to 7 West which is the unit where L&D is located. I refused to go right away since there wasn't that much bleeding compared to what I've had in the past and they hadn't even done a specular exam. There were 2 residents that came in to take a look and talk with me about why the doctor wanted to send me to 7 west. One of the nurses in the back ground was laughing at me since she knows me all too well and understand that I know my body more then anyone else.  So, long story short- it got to the point where I was willing to go to 7 west to be closely monitored, but wanted to hold off on the magnesium since the bleeding had slowed down. I called Mark's sister, Cari, who use to work in Labor and Delivery to get some advice from her. She mentioned that not only does the magnesium help strengthen the baby's brain in case I have to give birth right away, but it also helps calm the uterus and decrease contractions. The night time doctor, Dr. Landers (different doctor then earlier), came in and said since the bleeding has slowed down, we can just wait it out a couple hours with monitoring me and then possibly send me back to 7 South. After that, I started having heavier contractions that were the strongest I've felt during this whole pregnancy. When they got to be pretty bad and consistent, I decided to go ahead with the magnesium. It's either one pain or another. They immediately stopped after the mag dose started up.  I did ask that they don't give me such a huge dose for the first 20 min, but to increase it to 30 min instead so the mag symptoms weren't as bad. It sure made a difference. I was on magnesium for only 7 hours and was able to go back to my room this morning. My night time nurse was awesome. Her name is Libby and I've had her as a nurse in 7 South quite a lot, to the point where she knows me quite well. When she heard about the story, she mentioned it's good to be stubborn sometimes. She also kept talking about what a smart child this baby will be after all the magnesium doses she has had. 
Mark came to visit that night to free my mom, but this time he didn't spend the night. I didn't see any good reason for him to stay since I was doing fine and sleep is important for a long days work tomorrow. So yes, I'm the one that sent him home. 

Wednesday 3/30
Today all is well. I got my room back, and my one day room mate just got discharged. I had a lovely visit with my kids this afternoon and appreciate Jane bringing them every Wednesday. My mom left home this afternoon for Utah to go take care of my dad who recently had eye surgery. Most likely she will be gone for a week and I'm hoping this baby behaves. ;) 



I have a strong feeling she will be an April baby. My songram on Friday went well and the baby weighed in at 3 lbs 13 oz which means she is already over 4 lbs now. They printed out a couple photos and she is a chubby one. I even got to see her hair in the the sonogram. 




I've had plenty to keep me busy and have been reading at least a book a week if not more. I'm almost done reading The Lost wife which is really good so far. My next book I'll start up is All the Light we can not see. Almost done knitting Chantel's scarf. I finished up season 5 of Downton Abby only to find out I can't watch season 6 on Amazon prime. Anyone have any suggestions on how to watch it? I also started up watching The Man in the High Castle which is pretty intense, but it does make me feel grateful for the free country we live in.

Thanks for all the visits, emails, cards, text.  Can't believe April is almost here and that I've been in the hospital for 2 months!

Thur 3/31

This morning I was woken up at 3:00 am by a new (5th) room mate joining me. It's so annoying when they end up bringing patients in the middle of the night. Not to mention the house keeping, cleaning ladies come in from 10:10-10:40 pm to clean the room next door. What ever happened to quiet hours starting at 9:00? 
My room mate got discharged this afternoon! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment