Thursday, March 31, 2016

29 weeks - 5th time to Labor & Delivery

March 16

I just woke up at 9:00 this morning from a terrible night mare, only to realized this night mare is reality I'm facing. It was about a nurse who came in my room and woke me up by telling me the lab reported back that the blood tube clotted and they need another another one, so we were going to have to draw my blood again for the 3rd time. What had happened before, was I had my blood drawn after getting poked 5 times to find a good vein for the 4 test tubes that were needed. There were 4 different nurses that came into try and one of them was about to poke me in the foot which is the worst spot ever. After getting my blood drawn, they heard from the lab that one of the tubes did't have enough blood so we'd have to draw blood again. Luckily it only took one poke this time. Then early in the morning, my night time nurse came in again and said that the lab reported back that they weren't able to do the test since the blood tube had clots in it. Luckily the nurse was nice about it and said she will check and see if we can wait it out a bit.  I went back to sleep and had my "realitiy nightmare." I woke up somewhat in tears. The good news is I ended up not having to get my blood drawn for the 3rd time since the doctor decided we didn't need the test any more now that the bleeding slowed down. 

Yesterday I was planning on sending out an update, but thought I'd wait til evening in case any changes happened since Monday and Tuesday have been my back luck days. Well, sure enough, once 4:15 rolled along it all happened once again. And let me add that Tuesday wasn't any different from an other day as far as activity and high spirits. I was sitting down on a chair next to my mom and we were giggling, having a great time right before all this heavy bleeding came on. So pretty much another repeat from last week only this time the bleeding was a little more heavy and so I felt better about having a good enough reasoning to make a trip to the "torture chamber."  But once again, right before they started giving me the magnesium, the bleeding slowed down substantially. So why they decide to just not give it to me, I don't know??? I was on the mag for about 15 hours. Mark was given the report from Dr. Sharma to come home from his California business trip, not knowing what the future hours would be. He arrived at the hospital at 12:30 am and my mom headed back home to get some sleep. Our nanny was nice about willingness to spend the night at our house last min notice and take the kids to school in the morning. She will now get today off work so it sounded like a pretty good trade to me. I felt bad for once again cutting Mark's business trip short. 

I've now been to L&D 5 times along with the mag torture. The big question is, how many times will this have to happen before the baby is delivered? I'm trying to think positive and remind myself that if it weren't for me having to go through all of this, it would be her facing the challenges in the NICCU. I may have terrible veins, but much better ones then an infant. I also wonder if all this that I had to go through last night was a punishment for complaining about always having to have an IV in me 24/7. This time it came in handy for emergency since they didn't end up giving me a new one in L&D. My mom brought up the idea that maybe we need to name the baby Maggy from all the Magnesieum I've been on.

My emotions have been all over the place. I cried in front of the doctor this morning and last night when I was told that my room has been taken by another patient and my mom had to clear all my stuff out. As in, all the cards and pictures hanging on the wall had to be taken down and I no longer will have my fridge and window view.

I've been off the mag since 9:30 this morning and should be heading back to 7 south in the next hour. The big question is, what room will I be in? I'm glad I have my kids and a friend coming to visit me this afternoon. Hopefully that will cheer me up. It's also been nice having Mark around to wipe away my tears. 

Sorry everyone, I was hoping for a positive uplifting email saying that I'd gone a week with out making a trip to L&D, but that hasn't been the case. I'll try and send another update later on this week so you can hear from me on my good days. Let's all cross our fingers that I will have a decent room with a nice (not too loud) room mate. The majority of my stay in the hospital I've been so lucky to have a room to myself with an amazing view, but then hours before this incident, I had a room mate join me and then left my room only to find out it's been taken. 

I'm so glad my mom has been in town during all this and that Mark is back in town. Hoping for good luck tomorrow and the rest of the week.




March 18
It's been nice to be back in my room. I was surprised by how quickly I made it back into my original room with river view and fridge. I was transferred from the L&D around 1:30 and moved into a different room for the afternoon. My kids came to visit me which helped to brighten my day.  One of the nurses said, "don't make yourself too comfortable because we may be able to get you your room back tonight." Well, she wasn't kidding. That night around 8:00 that same nurse, Brook, came in and said - "ok, your room is vacant. Let's hurry and get you transferred before it's too late." She was so awesome to make that happen so quickly. The next day, my mom helped to reorganize my drawers, closet, and re -decorate the walls. I'm hoping to stay in here for longer then a week this time. I'm starting to be a little frightened by these "Terrible Tuesday's" that come along. My mom flew back to Utah for the weekend to attend a family event. I told her all will be fine as long as she is back before Tuesday. ;)

I'm really wishing I could make a trip outside to smell and feel the fresh air. Today I'm getting rather stir crazy being in the same room all day. I have a room mate now, but it's sounding like they plan to deliver her baby next Wednesday. She is really quiet in the day times, but come evening she started up her own symphony with her snoring. Last night was rough because her doctors/nurses came in every couple hours to check on her and monitor her. It wasn't like this the first night, so I'm hoping it's not an every night occurrence. Anyway, so I didn't get the best sleep with all the talking that was going on and once I did fall back asleep I was awoken by her loud snoring at 5:30 am. I got up to use the bathroom thinking maybe the sound of the toilet flushing would help to slightly wake her and stop the snoring, but no. It continued for quite a while until finally a nurse came in to take her vitals and after that she was quiet. 

My bleeding has been very minimal, meaning it's more then spotting but not too much all at once to worry or contact the nurse. I've been very pleased by the nurses here and feel like after 6.5 weeks here in the hospital I have now got to know all of them. 

Yesterday I had to get a new IV put in because my other one fell out after taking a shower. I was so upset because my other IV was such a good one. The protecting cover that one of the nurses gave me to put over my IV while I shower wasn't big enough so the sticky part got on the other plastic that was covering my IV, so when I pulled it off, the IV came out. But I do have to say, the new IV I got put in was great. The lady who came in from the IV team did such a good job to the point where I barely felt it. I made sure to get her name for future days when I have to get it replaced.

Looking forward to a visit from Mark and my kids tomorrow and thanks to all those who have come to visit me and contacted me. Hope you all have a great weekend. I can't believe Easter is just a week away.



No comments:

Post a Comment