Thursday, March 31, 2016

24 weeks - 2nd weeks

Tue - 2/9

I thought I'd send out an update since it's now been a week in the hospital.

First off, I have been through very minimal physical pain through out this whole ordeal. It's mostly been emotionally draining on me and being a pregnant women, it can be hard to hold back the tears. The physical pain has mostly been from unexperienced phlebotomist and having an IV in my arm 24/7 in case of an emergency. I was so glad that my nurse I have today was willing to take out my IV which was getting very tender. She said, "I don't want to break any rules, so if the doctor says something, we'll have to put one back in. The emotional pain, is the thought of "what if" she comes early. 

The baby is doing great. She's a constant mover and every day when they do a stress test, her heart is beating regularly. It's always comforting to feel her moving a lot.

Yesterday I had an ultra sound and everything looked good. The baby's head was in the way so they were unable to see if the tear in the placenta has completely healed. But ideal that the baby's head is helping to patch it up. The bleeding has slowed down a lot, but still hasn't completely stopped. There has been a couple days when I've got a little too excited about possibly being discharged, but then the bleeding comes on again. On the other hand, I do agree with the doctor in that I will be much more relaxed and inactive in the hospital then I would at home, so its safer to wait a full 24 hours of no bleeding. For all we know, I could be here all week. And even when I do go home, the other scary part is it takes at least 45 min to get to the hospital from our place. If only this hospital could be located on the west side of Manhattan instead of as far east as possible. We are talking, I have a view of the East river and Roosevelt Island out my window. 

This week is a very crucial week for us. I am 24 weeks along and waiting to reach the 25 week hurdle with no complications. We are talking, double the survival rate of a child born at 24 compared to 25. 

Today we are hoping to finalize who we will be hiring as a nanny. I was very impressed by this girl we interviewed last night and if we decide to go with her, she'll be starting on February 22nd. In the mean time, my dad is flying out here tonight to help out with the kids so that I can have someone with me at the hospital during for most of the day. 

Today I'm delighted to have my mom at the hospital with me while the kids are in school. She gave me a wonderful pedicure on Sunday and continues to serve me as my day nurse making it so I don't have to wait hours for the regular nurse to respond to my nurse call button. She has also brought me some of the amazing left over dinner meals people have brought us. I got to eat some Jacob's pancake and chicken this morning which totally fulfilled my craving. The hospital food is never amazing. They do have some good meals, most of them aren't that great. I have a little mini fridge where I can keep extra goods and snacks for when I do get hungry. There is also a microwave where I can reheat food and I'm very excited to try the Jacob's pickles mac and cheese for lunch today.

I have loved having visitors so thank you to all those who have stopped by after the long trek to the east side. Also a big thank you to those who have been willing to help out with our kids and send me a goodie bag.
I'm feeling very loved. 

I will keep you all posted if things change, but as for now we are just still taking it a day at a time. The future is such a gray area that we don't know what's ahead. 

Don't feel like you have to stop by, but I love having visitors to fill my time as bed rest can get pretty boring after a while. There are no strict visiting hours. Once again I'm at cornell presbyterian hospital, 525 E 68th St. 

Greensburg pavilion, 7 south, labor and delivery, room 234B.

No comments:

Post a Comment